Saturday, November 30, 2013

Thanksgiving

To be honest with you, I hadn't really thought about whether this Thanksgiving would have been something more special or unique than other Thanksgivings I've experienced. I mean, what would you expect? There is going to be a nice meal with plenty of good food, smiling faces to see, and a cozy place to celebrate it all at. What more could be added to the picture?

I started to think that maybe something different was coming because of a friend my sister Cheri had invited to our place. Her name is Erin. She's a very smart, bright, compassionate individual. She's unlike many other woman I have met in my life. It's not often when I meet a woman who can engage me as a scholar would and have a soft, sensitive side to herself that was quite endearing. Our family had talked with her about controversial issues like, the problem of suffering in the world (more specifically the Holocaust) and how to talk with people about contrary viewpoints.

After we had our full, I passed out for nearly an hour or so. I was exhausted from eating so much. After waking up, our family entered the living room, sat down on the couches, and started gathering to talk about what we were thankful for. We naturally went around the room through different people. The first person was Jeremy my brother in law. He's always brief and to the point about matters. He rarely or never I should say provides some commentary on what he is thinking, unless it's an extraordinary moment. I cannot remember who all went after him but sooner or later the discussion came to me.

I had been thinking of what I was going to say. I wanted it to mean something special. I wasn't content to just stick with famous old cliches like "I'm thankful for God, my family, friends..." blah blah blah. By the way, I hope you don't think I am not thankful for God, family, and friends. I very much am. I'm just tired of repeating the same expressions over and over again because of not having something fresh to say. I think people ought to take some time for once, and really do some mental lifting and think of some new ways to express their gratitude.

Well what did I say? Glad you asked. For the very first time in my life, I went around the room and highlighted something good and unique in each person in the room that I had resonated with for some time. I started with my dad. My dad is the reason why I'm a gentleman to women. He treats my mother like a princess. He calls her baby, loves kissing her in front of me and my sisters, and is the hardest working person I know. It is also from my dad that I truly learned generosity. Most people would say that I'm a generous guy. Well yes I have made choices in life but my dad is one prime example of that.

I then went to Cheri who is the middle child in the family (I'm the youngest out of 3). Cheri pulls no punches on what it takes to build a relationship with people. If you want to reap the benefits of love and fulfillment, then you have to put in the time and effort to appreciate that blessing. She is unabashedly realistic on how people are in the real world because she has lived in the real world for such a long time. And I'm thankful to her for impacting my understanding of how relationships work in (1) What I expect from others (2) What I know others expect from me and (3) What God expects from me.

My mother is the most sacrificial woman I know in life. There is no one I know who has sacrificed more than she has. I remember one time, when I was home with her, telling mom of how bad I felt for not cooking any meals for the fact I was too lazy to get to it! I basically told her that I did not think it was fair for her to bear the full burden of cooking and preparing meals around the house. I think she deserved a helping hand.

I moved to Erin and basically told her what I summarized in the beginning of this blog posting (minus the flowering details).

I was also short and brief with Jeremy. Even though I wouldn't say he's a close friend of mine, Jeremy and I have gotten closer and closer to possibly calling each other brothers. I'm not necessarily talking about spiritual brothers even though we are brothers in Christ. I'm talking about having him as a sub blood brother. I say that because I never had a brother growing up.

I moved to Nadyia who was the last person on my list. Nadyia is the oldest of us kids. I appreciate her analytical nature and not quick to buy into any idea out there, no matter how plausible it might seem on the surface. Some people might take this as being a bit judgmental. That very well could be true. But I also think it could reveal an attitude of discernment and wisdom. Be careful and know what you are getting yourself into whenever you are contemplating to pursue something you deem so highly important.

Last but not least, myself. I am so thankful that I have, for the first time in my life, spent so much time investing in myself in so many different ways. I have a personal journal that I have with certain thoughts and guidelines that I try to pray everyday of my life. Even though I have so much to learn and so many areas to grow in, I know I have grown so much over the last several years of life.

One big proof of that is the fact that I have conceptualized what it means to be a healthy person all around in my physical, emotional, intellectual, moral, and spiritual life. I have reflected on it all and I have been trying to incorporate those truths into my regular life. Has it been a struggle? You bet it has. But I am still in a work in progress.

Til' next time folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment